Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Near Heart-Stopping Dream

I had moved back to Longview.My mother had to go into the hospital up there. There were a bunch of teenagers were in the house all playing different music on their new cell phones which made it hard to understand what the hospital was saying but they wouldn't take my mother into the hospital without a credit card or debit card. They had to have my debit card so I had to drive back to get it. 

When I got back to Magnolia, the phone was out so I drove to the McLean's old house in Houston and the McLeans were there and decided that they wanted to go with me. I drove back to get my grandfather (all three are long dead) and found out that my mother was out of the hospital. I went and got her and took my mom home then for some reason the McLeans, my grandfather, and I wanted to go to my house in Texas City. We decided to rent a helicopter because we didn't think we were going to make it in time. I don't know who I called, but I called someone and there was a helicopter in the parking lot. We got in and I was piloting since I was the only one who had even flown a simulator before. I took off and we were flying up I 45 N.

We got almost to my house in Texas City and I had lost direction and somehow ended up almost over Galveston. Suddenly, we were over the 610 loop again and ran out of gas.  The lady who played Deanna Troi was somehow aboard suddenly and I asked her to put my cell phone in the compartment in the visor. As she did so, she fell out and I made a daring sweep allowing her to grab the landing gear and set her on a grain silo where she ripped her clothes off, allowing her to grab a light pole with her torn uniform, then swinging to the top of the silo in safety. She made some remark about having that uniform since the beginning the series then said something about never liking that uniform anyway.

We continued on and an updraft took us high in the air. I figured that if we couldn't land close to a gas station it would be a big problem to get the helicopter back to the heliport. We were high in the air and somewhere over the ship channel and we were slowly descending due to the counter rotation of the helicopter blades.  The whole helicopter sequence seemed to last for hours.

I was trying to hit the Gulf Freeway and maybe pick up a ride on a flatbed but that wasn't to be. I suddenly noticed a hand crank just under the blades and started cranking out the blades but that left us with no control since I was now having to steer with a straight rod not unlike the end of one side of a bicycle handle.

I gave up on trying to maneuver to the Gulf Freeway but didn't want to put down in the Ship Channel because of its depth. I was trying to put down in a sand yard to soften our landing somewhat and everyone was screaming that we weren't going to make it as I reassured them we would. (mind you the helicopter wasn't obeying the laws of aerodynamics) and I was beginning the descent deciding to brake by steering against the strong crosswind.

I woke up covered in sweat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I rarely remember my dreams. Since I have stopped drinking, I remember more than I did. This one you described sounds like way more fun than mine usually are!

Space Eagle said...

It was fun in a way, but the vicious crosswinds and trying to fly between overpasses without fuel was pretty scary. I was worried about my passengers and my responsibility for their safety.