Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Greatest of These is Love

The Greatest of These is Love



I was prepared to write a story that was much harsher than my normal sermons. It has been a long time since I've written about the things that are displeasing to God. Just when I was about to start though, God whispered in my ear to go a different route. I owe part of it to the inspiration of a good, Christian woman whom I recently met, but God is the one who told me to change my story. In fact, the woman almost made me go a harsher route at first. Haha Gotta love fiery Scottish women. She's a gem, though.

1 Corinthians 13:13 New International Version (NIV)

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

There are many things in the world. Some good, some bad, some indifferent. No matter what we run into though, there is nothing more interesting, more fulfilling, more healing, more uplifting, and more righteous than love. When everything seems its darkest, the things that can bring us out of the darkness are faith, hope and love, but none is more powerful than real, pure, Godly love.

Mark 12:28-31New International Version (NIV)

The Greatest Commandment

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[b] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[c] There is no commandment greater than these.”
'
Note that the bible refers to love as the GREATEST commandment, whether it be love of God or love of your neighbor as yourself. Often, the reason that people commit suicide is that they feel that all of the love is gone out of their life and there is no hope left. Look at one of my favorite actors and comedians, Robin Williams for instance. He, too had a horrible, debilitating disease, evidently felt unloved by his wife and family, and had run out of hope. He ended his life at the end of a belt in a closet door. Having faced a much similar problem, I can tell you that there is NOTHING that could have brought me back from the edge... not prayer, not faith, not anything without the prospect of love. I was tired of suffering after having suffered so much all of these years. I WANTED to die and go on to meet my maker. I'm a Christian. I've lived life the best I could. I tried always to be kind to others and do good to even those who hated me, did me wrong, and caused me grief. I tried to teach God's word, heal the sick, and raise the dead as Jesus commanded us to do. Yes, I made mistakes, but I knew that Jesus had died for my sins and would forgive them since I prayed earnestly for forgiveness and did my best to repent of those sins. I was ready to move on. I didn't even WANT to try again. It was far too painful. I didn't want love. I knew it would likely mean nothing but more suffering and humiliation. Of course, I had never really had the love of a believer before.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you're still around, regardless of your motivation.

I have a complicated notion of love and a complicated relationship with the idea of a higher power.

I used to believe that someday, I would figure it out. I don't think I'm going to figure it out anymore, but I still have so many other things I want to do that I keep going.

It's always great to see you writing again!

Space Eagle said...

I've really needed someone to talk to me even if she is all the way over in the U.K. I'm glad to be up and out of bed. Writing is an added bonus.