Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Chambers of My Heart - Poem

The Chambers of My Heart


I once knew love intimately

It coursed through my veins

Stimulating every fiber

Every neuron

It connected me to

The stars and planets

And every intricacy of

The Universe

Then, the chambers doors of my heart

Slammed shut

The flow stopped

My vision grew dim

The melody ceased tickling my ears

I raged against the dying of the light

But to no avail

In my anger

I tightly closed all the valves to my heart

Allowing fierce pressure to build

Into a coal black steam

Cracks ran down my heart

Like fingers stretching

I could hold back no more

I lashed out with anger and rage

Eyes glowing like molten metal

Releasing the kilotons of blackness

Into the air

The weak scurried

The strong turned their eyes

Until the pressure equalized

I now have a valve cracked

To my heart

If you can seep in

If you can fill the chambers

The cracks may begin to heal

And restore the beauty

That once was my heart




Copyright © 2009 Cal Jennings



No comments: