Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fallen Letters - Poem

Fallen Letters



Fallen letters on the floor
Letters never sent
Off the nightstand they did slip
Near the trash can's lip
Words that I wanted to say
To the one I loved
Before an illness took her life
Engulfing darkness shoved
I wanted then to take my life
And though I almost tried
I knew that I was needed still
And let the thought subside
Time, I guess, to clean them up
And put them all away
For I have things I must do
Before the final day
I still have much love to give
To one who'll love me too
This part of life has just begun
Time to begin anew
It's time to clean the clutter up
And to replace the floors
It's time to get on with my life
And fix my heart's closed doors
It's time to open up the shades
That keep the light outside
To turn away from darkness' door
And live my life in stride
I've lived my life in solitude
For a couple years
And I finally managed to
Get beyond the tears
I've stood by my convictions and
I've cut out all the fat
Now I need to concentrate
And take some time to chat


Copyright © 2009 Cal Jennings




No comments: